by Paolo Raguse
September is here, and so is a new issue of modern drummer! Here’s what you need to know for this week when it comes to batteries.
modern drummer September 2023 issue: available now!
OUR September 2023 problem of modern drummer came out today and has some very special features: not only does the issue feature interviews with Max. And Jay Weinbergboth separately and togetherit also presents the results of the 2023 modern drummer Readers poll. Weinberg’s piece is a must-read if you’re a Springsteen fan, a Slipknot fan, a drumming families fan, and a drum fan in general. On the other hand, the results of our readership survey are indicative of the drumming community’s unwavering support and fervor for the artists of today and tomorrow.
Elsewhere in the issue are a series of interviews and photos taken during the nu-metal/industrial/hard rock festival sick new world in Las Vegas earlier this year, including talks with Incubus drummer Jose Pasillas, The Fever 333’s Thomas Pridgen, and more. We also caught up with Slash’s drummer, Brent Fitzfor an illuminating discussion of his background, style of play and more.
- The Next Jazz Legacy Mentorship Program has opened applications for 2024. The program pairs emerging women and non-binary musicians with established jazz mentors, all led by a legendary jazz musician and modern drummerIt is April 2023 cover star, Terri Lyne Carrington. Learn more hereand apply here.
- Blink-182 to have postponed four dates on the European leg of their big reunion tour after the drummer Travis Barker He returned home to the United States to settle “an urgent family matter”. We wish Travis all the best!
- Steel Panther has had a good run as a competitor America’s Got Talent this season (yes, you read that right), but it ended for the group on Wednesday night (August 30). The hair-metal rockers were eliminated of the competition, preventing them from earning a place in the final.
New music (from great drummers)
- Slowdive is back with their first album in 5 years, titled everything is alive. The shoegaze giants are once again at their best, with drummer Simon Scott working with songwriter and vocalist Neil Halstead for mesmerizing drum parts. Listen here.
- HalfNoise, the project of Zac Farro (Paramore’s drummer, as well as a major feature of MARYLAND’s February 2023 issue) is back with “Cool Cat,” a groovy, psychedelic new single. Listen here.
- Progressive death metal band Job For a Cowboy are back with “The Agony Seeping Storm,” their first installment of new music in nine years. Drummer Navene Koperweis helps master the track with fierce grooves and technical prowess; read why it is Serious consequencesong of the week And listen here.
New tours announced
- Mongolian metal band The Hu have announced a series of concerts in the fall of 2023 in North America. Check the tour dates hereand get tickets here.
- Dave Matthews Band has shared additional tour dates through November. Discover the new dates hereand collect tickets here.
- This winter, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra brings its beloved holiday spectacle to cities across North America. See tour dates hereand buy tickets here.
Metallica Live Reviews, Chicago to LA
modern drummer was on several major shows this month, including Chicago’s return to the Greek Theater in Los Angeles and Metallica’s “M72” tour.